Saturday, November 19, 2011

Email written Wednesday, November 16th

         I had my anatomy scan this morning and we found out that we are having a little girl. (Avery!)  Some things were off in her ultrasound so they sent me to Baptist East for more tests. I am not ready to put any of this info out to the world yet (ie:Facebook) but feel free to share with any friends and family that I might have left off.
   
        We just got back from the high risk doctor and the ultrasound showed that the babies head is measuring very large and shows a lemon sign (about a week ahead), the abdomen is right on track, and the arms and legs are about 4 weeks behind in growth.  The leg bones are also bowed and the kidneys appear to be holding urine.
         
       With that being said, the doctor thinks (is pretty confident) that the baby has achondroplasia.  In lamen's terms, this is the most common type of dwarfism (think little people big world.)  The kidney issue is unrelated to this, but they don't know what that means yet.  They haven't ruled out all of the fatal displasias yet, but so far it looks like the baby could be born essentially healthy.  They worry about her lung development because people with achondroplasia often don't have enough room in their chest cavity for the lungs to develop properly. I am now considered high risk and will receive many more ultrasounds to monitor her development.

          Overall, it is a lot to take in and process.  The bottom line is that I am still having a daughter and I thank God for the opportunity to be her mother.  I would be lying if I told you that I am not scared beyond belief of all that I do not know.  I just pray that she is healthy and is able to lead a normal life as a little person with no other complications.  Thank you guys for all of your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment